THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Headquartered in Toronto and with operations throughout North America our client is a highly successful financial services company that is well positioned to continue its explosive growth and success.
Led by a highly dynamic, entrepreneurial and proven leadership team our client is publicly traded and has built a values driven organization that has exceeded its performance targets.
With more than $10 billion of assets under management our client is a leader in its sector.
Scope of Position
To capitalize on the Company’s market opportunity, our client seeks to bring on a senior tax executive in the role of Senior Vice President, Tax.
Reporting to the CFO, the Senior Vice President, Tax has overall responsibility for the tax function with a primary focus on strategy, planning and compliance. The Senior Vice President, Tax will oversee all domestic and international tax planning, tax provision and tax compliance activities for our client. This individual will be accustomed to dealing with complex cross border tax issues, be a strong internally facing influencer within the organization and run a team of 6 tax professionals.
- Manage the corporation’s tax planning, tax compliance processes, and provide business and financial guidance and counsel for tax strategies
- Direct tax return preparation and the review and the submission of federal, state, local and consolidated tax returns
- Manage SOX activities as it relates to tax procedures and processes
- Review proposed corporate business transactions and advise management of their impact to the organization
- Conduct due diligence, tax review and assessment of proposed acquisitions, divestitures and restructuring activities
- Defend positions taken on the company’s tax returns and recommend, prepare and file protests
- Monitor and analyze proposed and newly enacted tax legislation and regulations
- Mentor and motivate tax team
- Coordinate with all external advisors and consultants to the organization.
- Working with investment deal teams to provide deal support including planning and executing tax efficient acquisition and divestitures in Canada and internationally
- Reviewing the financial model to ensure that taxes are accurately reflected in the model
- Perform tax research, prepare memoranda, and support special projects in the area of cross-border tax planning and compliance
- Represent tax function on global repatriation and cash deployment decisions and execution
- Ensure that notices from various tax authorities are being addressed
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the company’s operational plan and strategic business plan with the executive management team
The following competencies listed below define the role of Senior Vice President, Tax:
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables. Experience in international operations is a must as well as in-depth knowledge of US tax matters and international tax planning.
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting and/or Finance
- CPA or LLB with at least 15 years of Canadian corporate tax experience in either a public accounting/law firm, or industry
- Strong knowledge of M&A, divestures, tax structuring and tax provisions
- Completion of the CICA In-Depth tax Course and the International tax course
- Experience with international taxes, contracts, reporting
- Knowledge and expertise of tax compliance, tax planning and cross-border tax structuring issues are a must have
- Experience working in highly entrepreneurial, fast-paced and demanding environments; experience working in a publicly traded company
- An analytical, detail oriented, team player that adapts well to change
- Ability to work independently and multi-task under pressure
- Presents quick decision-making skills
- Exhibits high standards of business and personal ethical conduct
Remuneration & Benefits
- A generous compensation package commensurate with experience will be discussed with serious and qualified candidates.