THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
Our client is part of the insurance subsidiary of one of Canada’s largest financial institutions. In Canada, our client has two lines of business, General Insurance and Life and Health. The General Insurance business is one of the top home and auto insurance groups in Canada and the national leader in group insurance and affinity marketing. The Life and Health business is the number one provider of critical illness insurance in Canada and a top provider of credit protection for millions of Canadians.
Our client is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment. With a Canada-wide workforce of over 4,000 employees and offices in Atlantic Canada, Quebec, Ontario and Alberta, our client offers a stable and dynamic work environment where talent is appreciated and professional development is taken seriously.
Reporting to the SVP of Life and Health, the AVP Life and Health – Operations is part of the senior leadership team for the Life and Health business responsible for Client Services, New Business, Underwriting and Claims for our client’s Creditor and Direct product portfolio. This role is responsible for:
- Contributing at a strategic level on operational initiatives and their impact on the overall business.
- Identifying operational efficiency opportunities, creating the business cases for implementation, and winning the support of the senior leadership team.
- Liaising with members of the senior management team on operational improvements that will impact their businesses.
- Leading a team of sales and service individuals that delivers a legendary client experience.
- Creating a culture of employee engagement that will have a positive impact on employee retention, employee attraction, client-experience and business results.
- Leading our Client Services area which services our Credit Protection and Direct Customers; supports our Retail Banking Partners in the distribution of Credit Protection products; and manages the inbound sales team for our Direct business.
- Leading our New Business and Underwriting teams for our Creditor Protection and Direct Business.
- Leading our Claims team which manages our Creditor Protection and Direct Business and has oversight over our claims practices for our Travel portfolio.
- Developing and encouraging change and innovation at all levels of the department, as well as fostering continuous improvement and new ideas.
- Building for the future by encouraging a culture of personal and professional development in order to develop leaders of the future and build a pipeline of succession.
- Managing the operational budget for delivery of financial business results.
Experience and Qualifications:
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Experience and strong knowledge of the Life and Health and Creditor Insurance businesses.
- Proven experience in successfully running an organization with a strong client-experience focus, and continuous improvement.
- Proven ability to manage and motivate a diverse group of professionals.
- Strong people management skills with demonstrated experience in leading high performing teams.
- Powerful communicator who engages colleagues, business partners, external stakeholders, and employees.
- Confident presentation and facilitation skills and strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal).
- Ability to stay resilient under pressure.
- Demonstrated relationship building skills, with a superior ability to make things happen through the use of positive influence.
- Robust organizational skills with the ability to work in a fast paced environment and manage multiple deadlines and priorities.
- Preferred education, University degree in business administration or equivalent.
- Advanced knowledge of principles and methods pertaining to business leadership.
- A proven collaborative approach to problem solving, decision-making and communication.
- Effective communications skills including facilitation, consultation, negotiation, persuasion and presentations.
- Organizational and time management skills at a senior level.
- Proven history of making an impact, developing and executing on strategies and delivering superior results in both the short term and long term.
- Expertise in working effectively in teams – ability of working cross-organizationally and with multiple stakeholders.
- Insurance business management experience including budget oversight and experience.
The following competencies listed below define the role of AVP Life and Health – Operations and Sales:
Make an Impact and Value Speed
Leaders at our client make an impact and value speed by getting things done in a timely manner; focusing on what matters; owning results and decisions – not blaming others, knowing the business from the ground up and customer in; finding ways to outperform – not settling for average; and, delivering superior results for all stakeholders in both the short and long-term.
Build for the Future
Leaders at our client build for the future by having a vision and proactively taking action to implement it; developing tomorrow’s leaders; creating an organization that starts with the customer; building organizational capabilities today that business will need tomorrow; seeking continuous improvement; and, creating a learning environment.
Inspire the Will to Win
Leaders at our client inspire the will to win by being driven to win with a passion for the business; attracting and retaining great people; bringing out the best in individuals and teams by making it fun; showing perseverance and resilience in bad times; recognizing and rewarding the contributions of others, both in little ways and more formally; and, by caring about people.
Act Decisively while Working Effectively in Teams
Leaders at our client act decisively while working effectively in teams by being driven to win for the team; making things happen by leveraging their partners; taking ownership for decisions; using positive influence not power to deliver results; showing trust in their business partners; working well with people who are different than they are; and, knowing instinctively how to engage the organization to make things happen.
Live Transparency and Respect Different Views
Leaders at our client live transparency and respect different views by speaking candidly with respect and not rounding corners; appreciating the views of others; have no time for internal politics; will have the more difficult conversations when required; are willing to personally surface and wear problems; fix them and learn from them; and, recognize their own strengths and weaknesses.
Show Excellent Judgment
Leaders at our client show excellent judgment by making pragmatic decisions, using a mix of intellect, experience and street smarts; dealing with tough issues fairly, decisively and calmly; making timely decisions, even in ambiguous, rapidly changing situations; taking intelligent and prudent risks; and making decisions based on what’s best for the organization – not their ego.
Demonstrate Unwavering Integrity
Leaders at our client demonstrate unwavering integrity by doing the right thing to the highest ethical standards; putting the interests of the organization above their own and their business units; treating people with respect; showing that actions speak louder than words; acting as a role model publicly and privately; and, by demonstrating loyalty and responsibility and motivation level.
Remuneration & Benefits
Competitive and innovative compensation package which will be discussed with serious candidates