THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a highly successful Canadian multidisciplinary professional services firm that delivers a comprehensive array of technical and strategic services, including consulting, information technology, engineering, process development, and project and construction management to various industrial markets.
Scope of Position
Our client’s Environmental Group manages ecological and social responsibility projects. The firm is currently seeking a highly capable individual to manage its activities in Western Canada. It is an excellent career opportunity for someone with extensive experience in environmental community interface and/or sustainability issues and projects and who is looking to take the next step in their career. The firm’s wealth of engineering, environmental, project delivery and procurement experience and our global footprint is highly differentiated in the growing environmental services market.
This person will have incorporated project skills with equally strong client relationship management and business development skills. The person who accepts this role will be a business builder, will be able to leverage some of their network of contacts, although this position will be based in Western Canada travel may be required from time to time.
- Developing environment services business in Western Canada including proposal and client engagement
- Identifying and developing ESG related business opportunities with clients and companies working in the mining, energy and infrastructure sectors
- Providing project management and advisory support to project teams working on mining, infrastructure and energy projects
- Providing strategic environmental management advice and services to projects and clients
- Developing project schedules for the delivery of environmental services on projects (for example, environmental and social impact assessments and management plans)
- Working with engineering teams and projects to develop environmental design criteria for projects
- Providing technical input and support to approvals requirements on projects
- Performing environmental risk assessments and communicating results to project teams
- Providing inputs to the Director to managing the performance reporting requirements of the Environmental Services Group for the region
- Liaising with global peers across the business as required
Key Performance Deliverables
- Specific measures of performance will be discussed with and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Environmental Services Group Lead – Western Canada at our client.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Incorporates information about the organization’s structure and protocol into decisions. Attentive to the internal politics and alert to shifting interpersonal dynamics. Establishes the necessary support networks and cross-functional relationships through rapport building. Recognizes, maintains and effectively balances the interests and needs of one’s own group with those of the broader organization.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Demonstrated business development and client engagement experience
- Experience in preparing and delivering business development strategies
- Demonstrated experience working on major projects in the mining, infrastructure, or energy industries
- In-depth understanding of environment impact assessment processes and legislation in Western Canada, other provinces and the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act
- Experience working in major EPCM projects
- Willingness to travel as work requires
- Ability to work in an multi-disciplinary and integrated team environment
- Tertiary qualifications in environmental engineering, science, environmental science, environmental and social impact assessment and management and/or a related discipline
- Minimum of 10 years experience in managing and delivering environmental or sustainable development activities on major mining, infrastructure or energy projects
- Effective and open communication and presentation style and ability to plan and deliver high quality reports
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive compensation package for the successful candidate