THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is an award-winning Canadian corporation that delivers a comprehensive range of technical and strategic services to customers around the world.
Our client is widely recognized for its ability to bridge the gaps between research and innovative technologies, and between engineering and reliable operations. The firm is particularly known for working with senior client management to develop business strategies; managing and optimizing operations and output.
Our client delivers unprecedented business results for its clients through a commitment to quality, lower operating costs, more efficient utilization of capital assets, higher standards for safety and risk management, faster start-ups and continuous performance improvements in all projects and programs.
Scope of Position
Our client is currently seeking an individual to provide leadership for their fast-growing environmental services division. The division’s offerings are broad-based and include broad environmental consulting from Studies and Planning through Remediation, as well as Climate Change, Resiliency, Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability.
This role is focused on growing the division around the world, through the development of external facing new business opportunities, as well as in active collaboration with other service areas within our client through cross-selling. The successful candidate will be expected to proactively grow market share across all the environmental services areas. In addition, this position will also drive divisional strategy, new services development and acquisition activities in the environmental space, integrating additional resources and capacity to grow the business strategically. The organizational and resource development to meet this growth is also an important component of the role.
The role can be based at our client’s head office or alternatively at any of a number of our client’s major global offices.
- Developing and expanding a continuous stream of new stand-alone environmental work, as well as cross-selling into ongoing company proposals and projects. i.e., leading assertive and proactive initiatives to develop new client opportunities and to acquire additional business from existing company client and project relationships.
- Client engagement at VP and CEO level with existing company clients and the development of new client relationships for ESG and the broader business.
- Managing a multi-disciplinary team of professionals providing environmental consulting, community, sustainability / corporate responsibility, climate change / resiliency / carbon management consulting and project delivery services within the business globally and regionally.
- Assisting senior executive management in strategy planning and organizational design initiatives.
- Ensuring the development and management of budgets and plans which will deliver the organization’s strategic goals.
- Developing and implementing plans to adapt and grow the existing operational systems, processes, and personnel in order to accommodate the rapid growth objectives of the business.
- Ensuring the commercial viability of the business at all times and acting in compliance with agreed profitability objectives.
- Direct and assist in the preparation of supporting materials, including communication materials, training documents and technical reports.
- Participates in projects with cross-functional teams to address business opportunities
- Engendering a style of management that encourages an ethos of excellence and a mindset of continuous improvement;
- Providing project management and specialist advisory support to project teams working on mining, infrastructure and energy projects;
- Managing the performance reporting requirements of the Environmental Services Group globally.
- Liaising with Global peers across the business as required.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific additional measures of performance will be discussed with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of President, Environmental Services:
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Negotiates skillfully and convinces others to own point of view. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others. Mobilizes people into action.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Bachelor’s/University degree in engineering, science, environmental science, environmental management or a related discipline.
- A postgraduate qualification in a related discipline and/or MBA desirable.
- A minimum of 15 years’ experience in selling, managing and delivering environmental consulting related activities.
- A minimum of 10 years of demonstrated executive leadership experience.
- Strong financial management and people management skills.
- An understanding of how to formulate and execute business strategies as well as effectively leading a team of people.
- Demonstrated experience working on major projects in the infrastructure, mining, or energy industries.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and desire to build a great business
- In-depth knowledge of environmental legislation and requirements in Canada, USA, and/or other markets.
- Willingness to travel as work requires.
- An ability to work in a multi-disciplinary and integrated team environment.
- Effective and open communication and presentation style and the ability to plan and deliver high quality reports.
- An ability to be flexible, learn and perform challenging tasks outside their area of skills and experience.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive, unique compensation package to the successful candidate.
If interested, please contact:
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 777
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 555