THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
In a report on trends in data management, the firm G2 predicted that in 2021 data-driven leaders will prioritize investments in scalable data platforms to effectively secure, govern, and analyze data across business functions through a single unified platform. These platforms will provide greater control over and allow seamless access to their data, irrespective of where it resides, ultimately helping them gain valuable insights and make better business decisions.
Our client is a venture-capital backed start-up with an innovative, highly intuitive way for people to collaborate and for data to operate. Their software creates a data environment that provides centralized access via a single, unified view of an organization’s data that inherits access and governance restrictions, irrespective of the data’s format or location. They deliver transformative value to their clients which include major corporations across multiple vertical markets.
Our client’s vision is a single secure platform enabling humanity to collaboratively normalize and organize ALL the world’s knowledge. This is NOT a small idea, in fact, a bigger one cannot be found, anywhere! They are on a mission to restore data autonomy and are adding to their team executives who not only share their vision but are committed to making it happen
This is an outstanding opportunity that features:
- Explosive industry and company growth
- Disruptive technology
- Committed leadership and investors
- An opportunity to make a real difference
Scope of the Position
Reporting to the CEO, the VP Finance and Operations will be responsible for driving shareholder success with responsibility for all finance and operations functions across the company. A part of the Executive Team, the leader will work as a strategic business advisor and be well versed in the full range of finance-related programs and services.
- Facilitate the evolution of the role from the traditional “Finance” to “Shareholder Success”. The “success-centricity” movement is a big deal at our client, and this is at the center!
- Responsible for the design, oversight and day-to-day management of the Company’s Finance function as it scales to a $50M revenue company.
- Accurate and timely processing of day-to-day transactions, reporting of historical financials and metrics, and forecasting of financials and metrics
- Assist the Executive team in securing new Equity and Debt financing as required.
- Act as a key liaison between the company and the Board of Directors.
- Be a key contributor to the overall strategy and direction of the company.
- Influence the executive team by driving the metrics and presentation of results.
- Hold the management team accountable with facts.
- Balance the role of being the CEO’s ‘enforcer’ against being a trusted advisor to the rest of the leadership team.
- Ensure that surprises are avoided, provide context and ensure that board meetings are as productive as possible.
- Deliver immediate value and contribute to long-term objectives—while finding the right mix of business flexibility to bridge the two.
- Ensure GAAP compliance including accurate revenue recognition and deferral for SaaS based revenue, professional services, expense recognitions and deferrals including vacation pay, non-cash expenses (ESOP), and regular pre-paid expenses, etc.
- Provide Department Heads with cash-based Actuals vs. Budget reports within 15 days of month-end.
- Ensure the company is Tax compliant within all jurisdictions in which it operates – Sales Tax, Income Tax, Payroll Tax, Customs and Duties etc.
- Provide Actual KPI and PI reporting to management with 15 days of month-end.
- Oversee the year-end Audit process.
- Create and maintain a financial model that will accurately predict the outcomes of management decisions and the existing operating plan on the Financial and Metrics of the company. Accuracy – Forecasts should be within 5% of actuals.
- Continually forecast assumptions and the future of the business on a monthly basis based on actuals and ongoing revisions to the strategy.
- Board Management & Fundraising.
- Based on analysis and understanding of the key drivers of company metrics, provide the Senior Leadership team insights on how to improve the business.
- Identify opportunities to improve key metrics, including revenue, gross margin, and operating burn.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific performance measures will be agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of VP Finance and Operations at our client:
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner. Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience. Comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Preferred Experience and Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- CPA/CA. MBA ideal (finance focus).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, or related discipline.
- 10+ years of experience in an accounting/finance role outside of professional accounting. -Experience with full-cycle accounting.
- Demonstrated experience with building financial models, business cases, and fundraising venture capital.
- Experience working in a high-growth start-up and SaaS businesses.
- Strong people leader: experience with hiring and developing finance teams.
- Strong communication skills (oral, writing, and presentation) and ability to collaborate cross-functionally.
- Proven ability to thrive in fast-paced, highly collaborative environments.
- Extremely organized and motivated self-starter. Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize what matters most for the business.
- Experience working with government partners and grant accounting.
- Expert knowledge in QuickBooks.
- Expert level Excel and strong analytical skills.
- Very strong attention to detail.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive compensation package structured to the needs of the successful candidate.