About the Company
Supply chains power the world, a fact that has been underscored by the challenges of the pandemic and the changes it has brought. Virtually every supply chain around the globe is changing, driven by ecommerce, geopolitical forces, rising labour costs, and shifting consumer demands. Many existing supply chain platforms are old and were put in place for Y2K. The company is a global provider of SaaS supply chain solutions that equip the borderless enterprise for growth. Spanning multiple complex, regulated and high-volume distribution industries, the company delivers dynamic and powerful solutions for warehouse management, distribution and transportation management, supply management at point of use, retail order management, as well as financial management and analytics solutions. From demand planning to demand fulfillment, the company puts power into the hands of both front-line workers and back-office planners, helping business leaders operate sustainable and scalable logistics so they may focus on the future of their products, services and people, not on their operational challenges. Customers around the world trust their supply chains to the company in the healthcare, service parts, third-party logistics, retail and general wholesale high- volume distribution industries.
The company is the market leader in North America for supply chain solutions for health systems and hospitals. With attractive industry tailwinds, our client’s organic growth is accelerating and may be augmented by some M&A. It is expected that revenues will double in the next three to five years (Current revenues $150mm)
The company currently employs approximately 700 people and enjoys and promotes an environment of respect and work life balance that results in above average loyalty and lower turnover. It also seems to be more fun to work there!
This is an outstanding organization that features:
- Strong industry and company growth;
- History of stability;
- Superb team and culture;
- Committed investors;
- An opportunity to make a real difference.
Our client is headquartered in Canada with offices, staff and customers in the Americas and EMEA. The company is listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX)
Scope of Position
Due to an impending retirement, our client is seeking an individual to join its Board of Directors. It has initiated this process to identify an exceptional individual who possesses the domain, functional and international experience, skills and influence to augment the overall effectiveness of the current board.
The members of the Board of Directors have the duty to supervise the management of the business and affairs of the company.
- Promote the organization in the marketplace as appropriate
- Along with other members of the Board, delegate to the CEO the responsibility and resources to achieve the stated ends, within what the Board defines as acceptable practice.
- With other board members, define, communicate and refine the company’s values and strategies
- Plan and implement plan for the succession of CEO and key executives.
- Review operational reports, comment and make recommendations.
- Make recommendations to the board based on industry experience, knowledge and know-how
- Financial management, including adoption and oversight of annual budget
- Strategic planning – approve the company’s strategic planning process and short as well as long yerm strategic plan prepared by management
- Risk Management – provide regular oversight of the company’s enterprise risk management practices. Review the internal, financial, non-financial and business control and IT systems
- HR Management – review the company’s approach to HR management and executive compensation
- Corporate Governance- Review the company’s approach to corporate goverance. Assess and review organizing documents and by-laws, and the mandate , charters and role descriptions for the board and CEO.
- ESG – Review the company’s approach to ESG as well as the company’s approach to diversity, human rights, fair trading practices etc
- Financial information – review the company’s internal controls relating to financial information and reports provided by management on material changes to these controls, Review the integrity of the company’s financial information and systems as well as controls
- Communications – Review the company’s overall communication policy including measures for communicating with and receiving feedback from Regularly review overall approach to shareholder engagement.
- Formulate and provide oversight to policies and procedures
- Define, as goals, the essential deliverable products and services
- Define, communicate, monitor and refine the company’s values and strategies.
- Sit on committees as required
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific measures of performance will be discussed and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
- Become familiar with other board and committee members and nurture a collegial working relationship contributing to consensus and better decision-making.
- Leveraged industry contacts and actively participate in discussions regarding new business ventures, strategic alliances, acquisitions etc.
- Volunteer for and accept assignments as required.
- Attend and participate in meetings on a regular basis, as well as special events as determined by the board
- Be an active participant in committees’ annual evaluation and planning efforts.
- Establish mentoring and counselling relationship with CEO as required.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Director at our client:
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far-reaching ideas.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined, and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down a large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role; Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods; Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables:.
- A track record of success in building and scaling Enterprise SaaS organizations from $150 to $400 mm in revenues.
- Broad experience and insight into the software sector
- Mentoring/Coaching mindset
- Experience in mergers and acquisitions that can be applied to a firm which has been built organically and seeks to be responsive to other means of growth.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree with a focus on business,
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive compensation package
If interested, please contact:
|Robert Hebert, PhD
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 777