THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client has become a global leader in the design and manufacture of high quality electronic products and systems. Recognized for their innovative designs, superior quality and performance, Our client’s full range of power solutions are utilized by leading companies to cover a wide range of markets and serve a multitude of industries and applications, including, telecommunications and network systems, network infrastructure equipment and servers, computers and peripherals, industrial automation systems, medical electronics systems and test and measurement equipment.
Headquartered in Toronto, Canada, our client has a global reach with product development, sales and support offices in Canada, U.S. and United Kingdom, and manufacturing/production facilities in China. From these offices, our client has the facilities and resources to support its multinational customers around the world from product design through volume production.
Scope of Position
Reporting to the President, the Director of Manufacturing will be responsible for ensuring that the organization’s manufacturing strategy and execution capabilities are aligned to the strategy of the business.
This will include the control and management of all direct manufacturing operations in Toronto as well as the company’s third party strategy and relationships in China. The organization’s 200 strong, non-unionized production team is seasoned and knowledgeable.
Our client is committed to operational excellence in a rapidly changing global market. The Director of Manufacturing will be called upon to play a leading role in achieving that ongoing goal.
• Develop and manage operations leadership team capable of carrying out required operations strategies and ensuring high levels of employee relations.
• Ensure that operations capabilities are aligned with global market shifts. This includes ongoing cost/benefit analysis of strategic relationships and/or direct manufacturing operations in China. Proactively deploy human and financial resources as required.
• Oversee operations budgets to ensure compliance with organizational expenditure targets seeking always opportunities for cycle time and cost reductions.
• Evaluate existing and refine manufacturing/materials processes, policies and practices in the areas of lean manufacturing techniques, materials usage, shipping and receiving, capacity planning, production scheduling, safety, customer satisfaction, employee relations and performance metrics/measures
• Manage materials/inventory and vendors to ensure that production and financial goals are achieved
• Assume full responsibility for issues pertaining to quality
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
• The incumbent will be measured against specific performance metrics to be agreed upon in advance. These will include productivity (eg. earned versus unearned averages); quality; on-time delivery; throughput rates; material costs/inventory management; overall functioning of shop floor etc.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Director of Manufacturing our client’s organization:
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Recognizes when change is necessary. Challenges the status quo and champions new initiatives. Acts as a catalyst to change and stimulates others to change. Develops an effective action plan to implement change and monitors results.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Strives for excellence in products, processes and/or services through continued evaluation, enhancement and redefinition of quality standards.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
• Proven experience in driving change and in aligning manufacturing to rapidly changing global markets
• Experience in leading large, diverse manufacturing teams
• Experience establishing and managing relationships and/or direct manufacturing operations in China
• Engineering degree, preferably with an advanced business degree
• 10 years plus experience implementing lean manufacturing/advanced supply chain techniques in electronics manufacturing environments where auto insertion, wave soldering, magnetic and related electromechanical systems are used.
• Capics/APICS certification
Remuneration & Benefits
• The individual will receive a highly competitive base salary and bonus