THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Recently named as one of Canada’s fastest growing companies, our client is a leading digital music service provider offering a comprehensive suite of solutions – including customized promotions, branded digital entertainment stores, web services and affiliate programs. The company is licensed by all Major record labels in North America and has powered over 5,000 digital music promotions for Fortune 500 retailers, consumer brands and service providers.
Scope of Position
The Vice-President Engineering is responsible for the successful execution of the company’s business mission through the development and deployment of the firm’s online presence in the digital promotions, online retail product suport and digital e-commerce domains.
- Formulation of technical strategy to support communicated business objectives.
- Guidance in early stage client engagement to fully leverage the firm’s capabilities and optimize efficiencies in responding to client needs.
- Identify technology trends that may support or impede the success of the business.
- Evaluate and identify appropriate technology platforms for delivering the company’s services.
- Collaborate with the senior leadership team in establishing governance processes of direction and control to ensure that objectives are achieved, risks are managed appropriately and the organization’s resources are used responsibly.
- Communicate the company’s technology strategy to management, staff, partners, customers and stakeholders.
- Oversee daily operations of existing and future company B2C e-commerce websites
- Strategize and implement new site features, functionality and promotions.
- Produce wireframes, mock-upsand actively participate in creating business requirement documents and functional specifications for large projects.
- Work with UML models
- Support SEO, SEM and other online advertisjng projects.
- Support digital marketing resources in optimizing email and social media strategy to support digital promotions, B2C e-commerce, and retail product supporting initiatives.
- Review and appropve proposed development releases.
- Management, hiring and retention of technical team members. This will include employee reviews and personal development plans.
- Generation and enforcement of technical policies.
- Ensure that any and all technical problems are dealt with in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Participate in managing the annual operating and capital budgets.
- Ensure the company’s internal technological processes and customer-facing services comply with community expectations and applicable laws and regulations for privacy, security, and social responsibility (COPPA, PIPEDA, PCI etc).
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific performance measures will be discussed and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Vice-President Engineering at our client,
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Encourages others by creating enthusiasm, a feeling of investment and a desire to excel. Inspires a healthy attitude to work by recognizing positive contributions.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Generates new ideas. Challenges existing assumptions. Goes beyond the status quo. Recognizes the need for new or modified approaches. Brings various perspectives and approaches together, combining them in a creative fashion to implement effective improvements.
Draws parallels across situations and contexts. Divides problems into their individual elements. Develops several explanations or alternatives. Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner. Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience. Comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Deep experience delivering solutions utilizing Microsoft platform technologies
- Understanding of the touch points between uncoiupled diverse systems and how they can be integrated to meet a business need.
- Deep understanding of web systems architecture and supporting network communications protocols and topologies.
- Knowledge of web and mobile standards.
- Familiarity with technical requirements of internet marketing and search engine optimization.
- Familiarity with information security vulnerabilities and risk management.
- Ability to leverage software development life cycle best practices to deliver predictable results. Preference for candidates familiar with Agile methodology.
- Minimum eight years of experience managing technical teams with strong ability to communicate and document ideas and expectations effectively, deliver projects in tight timelines with structured approaches to change management, and the ability to resolve conflict and foster productive teamwork.
- Experience integrating web based e-commerce platforms with NetSuite ERP (or similar) an asset.
- Experience deploying e-commerce solutions with multi-lingual, multiple territory and multiple currency requirements an asset.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive compensation package for the successful candidate.