About the Company
Our client’s cloud based digital solutions enable higher education institutions to drive greater operational efficiencies while delivering enhanced student experience and improved student engagement. Our client’s award-winning suite of solutions have been adopted by more than 1000 higher education institutions serving almost 100 million students.
Private equity backed, well-established and growing rapidly the company continues to align its executive leadership capabilities with its successful strategy of aggressive growth.
Scope of the Position
To capitalize on its market opportunity, our client seeks to bring on a senior finance leader in the role of Senior Director, Finance – Controller.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing best in class accounting, tax, and treasury processes and procedures to support the core business operations of the company. The candidate will have responsibility for evaluating and impacting the effectiveness of all systems and controls on a wide range of processes supporting tactical and strategic initiatives and planning. This individual will be a strong resource for various internal and external stakeholders.
- Management of the monthly financial statement process including timely close and accurate reporting, and management of the Company’s consolidation process across multiple legal entities, in 2 countries.
- Working closely with other stakeholders in the Finance and Accounting Department in the preparation of the Monthly Reporting Package and Quarterly Board reports.
- Establishing and maintaining strong working relationships with senior operating managers within the company to provide assistance in identification and development of appropriate financial solutions to operational issues.
- Analysis, determination, and audit sign-off of technical accounting positions for transactions such as contract accounting, acquisitions, and ongoing annual assessments such as goodwill and intangible impairment tests etc. in accordance with US GAAP (ASPE).
- Management of audit and compliance requirements, early identification of issues that should be cleared with auditors and tax advisors. Establishing public company standard “best in class” monthly and quarterly reporting processes.
- Coaching and mentoring an effective, motivated, and committed finance team, while fostering an environment of approachability, collaboration, and professionalism.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined, and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down a large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to situation to achieve optimum results. Develops a high-performing team that delivers in a highly complex organization or situation.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support; Balances personal goals with those of the team; Fosters collaboration among team members.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Preferred Experience and Education
- Ideal candidate will bring a minimum of 5-10 years’ experience in senior finance leadership roles with a CPA designation.
- Experience working with and scaling fast growth, acquisitive software/services company;
- Experience managing multi-currency consolidation, audit and tax processes along with sound technical accounting knowledge and US GAAP;
- Demonstrated success improving and automation complex processes and procedures to improve operational excellence and better serving both external and internal customers;
- A reputation for deeply understanding all areas of the business and a passion for making a positive impact across the board;
- Results-oriented, energetic can-do mindset with an ability to establish credibility across all internal stakeholders;
- Team player and problem solver with an ability to make timely, informed decisions which reflect sound analysis, experience and judgement;
- A high level of written and oral communication skills and ideally strong knowledge of Sage and Excel skills.
If interested, please contact:
StoneWood Group, Toronto