THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
Client operates as a not-for-profit corporation and has been working with the public and private sector including industry, academia, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), the financial community and all levels of government to achieve this mandate.
Client operates funds aimed at the development and demonstration of innovative technological solutions such as address climate change, air quality, clean water, and clean soil, and also supports the establishment of first-of-kind large demonstration-scale facilities for the production of next-generation renewable fuels.
The Manager, Incubator and Funding Applications is the primary gateway to the Fund, guiding and coaching prospective applicants through the initial stages of the funding process including the new Virtual Incubator program. Armed with a well grounded businesses acumen and client-oriented nature, the Manager, Funding Applications draws out critical information from prospective applicants regarding their innovation, stage of development and go to market approach in order to assess fit with the Fund. Taking into account Client’s existing investments and priority investment areas, the Manager, Incubator and Funding Applications advises the applicant on how to best articulate their value proposition and structure their project, consulting internal Client resources as required. As a critical member of Client review team, the Manager, Incubator and Funding Applications facilitates a fair and balanced review of Statement of Interests (SOIs) in the Challenge Session and recommends whether the applicant moves forward to the full proposal stage.
Reporting to Director, Stakeholder Relations
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Responding to applicants, outlining the Fund and its Virtual Incubator program’s eligibility requirements, evaluation criteria, application and funding process
- Conducting an initial assessment of the fit of the technology and stage of development to the Fund, priority investment areas and portfolio deficit areas
- Providing guidance and support to the potential applicant on how to structure their project, suggesting possible consortium partners where appropriate
- Debriefing the Screening & Evaluation Managers on the pipeline of possible submissions, and soliciting feedback for the applicant
- Has accountability for developing and maintaining relationships with applicants and industry organizations in relevant sectors
- Attending or presenting at conferences, workshops and meetings to support sector or regional based deal-flow objectives
- Responsible for identifying sectoral or structure issues with the application process and recommending solutions
The Virtual Incubator program can be applied to at any time throughout the year. There are two Fund calls for funding per year which receive a varying number of applications. This position liaises with the Screening and Evaluation, Contract and Project Managers in responding to the prospective clients.
Travel will be required on occasion to participate in conferences and workshops. The amount of travel required is variable but is generally less than 25%.
Skills and Knowledge
Degree in Sciences, Engineering and/or Business or equivalent experience in the clean technology sector.
- 7-12 progressive years in a field related to Client’s core sectors of energy, transportation, water, soil or advanced materials
- A broad knowledge of the issues important to Client and their customers – the entrepreneurs and developers of new technologies
- Preference given to candidates who have had direct experience in Product Management, Product Development and who have worked in both small and large enterprises
- bilingualism is required
- excellent oral and written communications with strong listening skills
- must have strong multi-tasking capabilities and be results driven
- goal and team oriented
- demonstrated ability to understand the challenges and business realities in working with clients from startups to large multinational organizations