THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Client operates as a not-for-profit corporation and has been working with the public and private sector including industry, academia, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), the financial community and all levels of government to achieve this mandate.
Client operates funds aimed at the development and demonstration of innovative technological solutions such as address climate change, air quality, clean water, and clean soil, and supports the establishment of first-of-kind large demonstration-scale facilities for the production of next-generation renewable fuels.
Scope of Position:
This position reports to the VP, Performance and is responsible for overall project management and the reporting of corporate results within organization. The role oversees the contracting, execution and post-project reporting phases of the portfolio lifecycle, as well as the reporting of corporate results.
The Director actively manages a dynamic team, the budget and reporting requirements for the function ensuring that project management processes are effective and that funded projects are delivered in accordance with Client’s Funding Agreement and exemplary quality standard. The focus of this position is to support the ongoing deliverables of both funded and organizational projects.
Of particular importance is assuring that Client’s results measurement and reporting is transparent, accurate, timely, relevant, and auditable. Responsibilities include identifying strategic ways to use Client’s extensive measurement, reporting and data resources to further drive the foundation’s results, performance and sustainability.
The Director also supports due diligence on new projects and leads the preparation and presentation of modification requests for existing projects and interacts with all levels of the organization as well as senior management within the Portfolio companies. From time to time this person may be called on to be backstop the VP, Performance.
Travel will be expected in order to visit with new applicants and existing portfolio companies and project sites. It will vary and is estimated at approximately 15%.
Recognizes when change is necessary; Challenges the status quo and champions new initiatives; Acts as a catalyst to change and stimulates others to change; Develops an effective action plan to implement change and monitors results.
Strives to provide clients with personalized and efficient service; Listen and understands client needs and conveys them back to the organization to take appropriate action; Quickly follows up on client concerns and deals with them in a professional and efficient manner; Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively; Negotiates skilfully and convinces others to own point of view; Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others; Mobilizes people into action.
Proactive; Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately; Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met; Has a reputation for execution and delivery; Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure; Aims to improve upon past performance; Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve/exceed them.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Core project management oversight activities
- Lead contracting and project management activities, coach recipients, troubleshoot project issues and challenges to keep projects progressing towards delivering results while managing/mitigating financial, governance and reputational risks to the organization.
- Continuously review and improve processes with the aim of increasing efficiency, maintaining good governance and assuring accountability.
- Provide day to day management of the team, through coaching and mentoring, empowering the team to take responsibility for their portfolios, while delivering results.
- Establish, track and deliver on performance goals such as portfolio disbursements, contracting and disbursement timeframes and portfolio health/risk analysis, etc.
- Coordinate and synchronize project management and screening and evaluation activities to deliver on those goals.
- Manage project-level negotiations/interactions with legal and financial auditors.
- Review, approve and present contracts and modifications, as well as milestone claims and disbursements.
- Ensure project data for portfolio and project-specific reporting requirements is collected and updated as required.
- Summarize and present portfolio updates to the Executive Team.
- Manage project close-out and Post-project reporting processes including financial audits.
Phase II Due Diligence/Project Review Committee (PRC) Support
- Participate as a Management representative in due diligence meetings
- Lead assessment of contract readiness and Quality Assurance / Quality Control of Team input to all Proposals and PRC Summaries.
- Oversee Modification Request process and present Modification Requests to the Project Review Committee and Board.
- Present portfolio status to PRC and Board
- Oversee Client’s performance data gathering, measurement, and reporting activities, with accountability for data quality and integrity. Ensure that all relevant project data (including Environmental Benefits reporting) to support internal and corporate reporting requirements are collected and updated regularly.
- Contribute to Client’s corporate strategies by identifying performance information that may support, influence, and leverage results;
- Develop metrics and methodologies for analyzing Client performance from both a corporate, and portfolio perspective. Monitor and report on key performance indicators within Client’s portfolio performance reporting framework;
- Identify opportunities to enhance measurement and reporting data value by defining and implementing new methods, tools and metrics to support adjustments as stakeholder needs change;
- Optimize use of automation and improve reporting efficiency and flexibility;
- Support the development of communication strategies that leverage performance analysis, provide context to data to increase meaning and understanding, and ultimately engage key stakeholders;
- Work with CEO and Senior Management to build case studies and examples of Client benefits to Canada;
- Lead quality control of the project-level information included in the segmented database on Client’s website, as well as relevant sections of the Annual Report.
- Maintain engagement with, and knowledge of, government departments to ensure Client performance measurement and reporting aligns with policies, laws, regulations, and performance targets for government clean technology objectives.
Cross-organizational support and interface
- Develop, implement and execute new initiatives, processes and programs that directly affect the portfolio/recipients. Manage the team’s participation in portfolio Due Diligence sharing and risk assessments with other functions within Client.
- Oversee the management of relationships with complementary funding agencies (or coordinate/delegate with other Managers as appropriate).
- Support Contribution Agreement negotiations and recapitalization efforts
Skills and Knowledge Required
Required: Degree in Engineering, Environmental or related fields; Business – Commerce degree
Assets: MBA, managerial accounting and project management certification, or equivalent demonstrated experience.
- 10–15 progressive years in project/program management preferably in the environment sector.
- 7+ years of experience in the following area’s – Financial Management of largescale programs; Risk Management, Contract Management and Resource Management;
- Experience working in start-up companies and/or government departments
- There is a preference for the position to be located in Ottawa.
- Knowledge of sustainable development and of environmental issues.
- Attention to detail, with project/program management experience.
- Advanced analytical and conceptual thinking skills;
- Ability to understand a broad range of technologies and business metrics;
- In-depth knowledge of environmental and sustainability metrics, measurement, and valuation methodologies and resources;
- Understanding of environmental laws, regulations, standards, and voluntary guidelines;
- Ability to draw connections and communicate relevance between data/statistics and business performance;
- Contract negotiation
- Proven Leadership skills in management of resources
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Goal oriented and action focused.
- Demonstrated ability to create a team environment.
- Ability to work productively with numerous stakeholder groups.
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment, handle multiple priorities and meet tight deadlines.
If interested, please contact:CATHERINE PAN DIRECTOR RESEARCH GROUP email@example.com (613) 592 4145 EXT 223