THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is changing how globally distributed product development and manufacturing organizations collaborate and interact with key stakeholders throughout the product development value chain.
The firm’s cloud-based Product Lifecycle Management and Product Data Management solutions simplify product development by connecting engineers, designers, project managers and suppliers in a secure, collaborative manner that accelerates product lifecycle development, thereby allowing organizations to launch products faster and more cost effectively.
Our client boasts an enviable list of high-profile global customers in aerospace, automotive, technology and entertainment, and is funded by a blue-chip group of investors. The firm is Toronto-based.
Poised for explosive growth and an exceptionally bright future, our client now seeks to hire a Chief Financial & Administrative Officer (‘CFAO’).
Scope of Position
Reporting to the CEO, the CFAO will be responsible for overseeing all financial, administrative and governance matters of the company and reporting on such matters in a timely and accurate fashion to the executive management team and Board of Directors. Included among these responsibilities will be the negotiation of master licensing agreements and other commercial agreements with customers, partners and suppliers.
- Act as a key business partner to the CEO and the operating team providing financial guidance and counsel on all matters relating to the finance function including strategic business planning, budgeting and forecasting, business analysis, and corporate growth strategies.
- Work with and support the CEO with all ongoing fundraising activities while managing the company’s cash effectively.
- Provide hands-on leadership, guidance, mentorship and performance management to team members.
- Ensure that the finance organization is structured and sized, so as to be optimally aligned to the needs of the business.
- Oversee and manage the accounting, tax, insurance, budget, credit and treasury and capital structure functions ensuring that the interests of all stakeholders are served.
- Manage relationship with audit firm for annual audit/income tax activities and all related matters.
- Leverage a detailed understanding of ‘what’s driving the numbers’ to act as a key strategic and operational contributor to the overall growth of the business.
- Assess current commercial agreements and contracts and assist where necessary to ensure they are appropriate, effective and scalable.
- Ensure appropriate internal controls are developed and in place for the benefit of all stakeholders and the more efficient operation of the business.
- Collaborating with the CEO, Head of Sales and other key stakeholders oversee the negotiation of all key commercial agreements entered into by the company, involving legal counsel as required.
- Serve as a champion for enterprise excellence and the maximizing of value creation.
- Lead all investor relations activities with a view to accurately and positively representing the company in all financial matters. Ensuring all stakeholders including lenders and financial institutions are kept up to date on all relevant financial matters in a timely manner.
- Remain informed about the business, put measurements and reporting dashboards into place enabling real time assessment of performance and ‘what’s over the horizon’.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific measures of performance will be discussed with and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of the Chief Financial Officer:
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles; Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment; Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner. Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience. Comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- 15+ years of post-secondary experience with a minimum of 10 years leading the finance activities of a growth oriented, VC backed company.
- Credibility within the financial community with a track-record of fundraising through a variety of means, including, venture capital, private equity, debt, government grants/loans, public markets etc.
- Preference will be given to individuals with a proven track record of scaling a B2B SaaS company.
- An ability to drill down and understand what drives the business; establish relevant KPIs and metrics that will improve forward looking decision making and predictability for the business.
- A demonstrable ability to contribute and engage in a strategic and meaningful way at the C-suite and Board level
- A commercial savviness, ability and curiosity to understand a highly technical product and customer base in order to contribute insightfully to product positioning and pricing strategies.
- A hands-on, ‘roll up your sleeves’ orientation.
- A bias for action combined with a burning desire to succeed.
- A participative, inclusive team style.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive base salary, variable and stock plan
If interested, please contact
StoneWood Group, Toronto
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 233