THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Our client is a specialized supplier of hardware and software for aircraft flight following and communications. Using the Iridium satellite constellation, the company provides complete global capabilities for:
Two-way voice communication between the aircraft and the ground
Two-way text messaging between the aircraft and the ground
Flight-following using GPS-based position reporting
Aircraft tracking and mapping
Analysis and reporting of flight following data to help customers manage and streamline their businesses
Capture and transmission of data from other sources (e.g. engine condition monitoring data)
Founded by experienced aviators in 1986, our client brings more than 20 years of experience to the SatCom marketplace. From the beginning, the company has been a leader in the commercialization and evolution of satellite-based flight following and communication technology.
SCOPE OF POSITION
Delivering timely accurate financial reports as well as managing the daily financial, human relations, and customer contract activities will be the responsibility of the Vice President Finance & Administration (VP Finance).
The Vice President Finance will be responsible for all accounting, financial and legal control activities, human relations administration, and assume a leadership role in the company. S/he will be responsible for ensuring that financial controls are in place, managing the accuracy and accumulation of financial information for internal management decision-making by the team and board, and the preparation of requisite bank reporting. The VP Finance will also support the development and review of customer legal contracts. Additionally, s/he will lead the development of Company human relations policies and processes and assume responsibility for implementation and administration of such.
- Act as the technical expert on accounting issues; demonstrate working knowledge of Canadian GAAP, IFRS and recently issued pronouncements, and a thorough knowledge of professional standards and practices.
- Manage an appropriate accounting organization; mentor, teach and enhance the skill level of the existing team; organize the accounting department’s efforts to maximize the utilization of the talent available and to minimize the overall effort required to accomplish the tasks.
- Assess, oversee and drive improvements in transactional processes including accounts receivable, accounts payable, credit and collections, payroll, the month-end close and engineering and manufacturing reporting to provide a better flow of financial and accounting information.
- Ensure timely preparation of all financial statements including monthly management reports and variance analyses to support the leaders in decision-making and project management.
- Monitor all departments budget performance, identify and communicate variances to those accountable.
- Develop a Human Resources Policy & Process administration manual; oversee the daily management of human resources administration.
- Review current legal documentation and establish a plan to improve and streamline the documentation development process and ensure it is aligned with the business plans and processes.
KEY PERFORMANCE DELIVERABLES
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Provide all necessary financial reports as well as developing insightful reporting alternatives.
- Act as the right-hand person to the President in the development and ongoing execution of the Company strategy and operating plans.
- Ensure judicious accuracy in all financial reporting.
- Meet or exceed all financial reporting timelines.
- Provide support to he board audit committee and external auditors.
- Define and implement human resources administration policies and processes.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Vice President Finance & Administration
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner. Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience. Comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately.
Consults widely for business or technical advice, probes for facts and obtains information from a wide variety of sources. Differentiates the critical from the irrelevant or trivial.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Adopts an energetic approach. Works towards goals and willingly tackles demanding tasks. Demonstrates capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods of time, even in the face of adversity.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Draws parallels across situations and contexts. Divides problems into their individual elements. Develops several explanations or alternatives. Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE / EDUCATION
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Offers 10 years of business experience demonstrating progressive increase in responsibilities including the past 5 years in a senior controller and/or financial management position.
- Background includes companies with the following characteristics: engineered hardware and software, manufacturing facilities, ongoing customer service, and B2B selling to a variety of customers beyond North America. Aviation background is an asset.
- Recent history assuming responsibility, accountability and being involved at the detail level; administrative policy and process development and management extends beyond finance and includes human resource administration and contract management.
- In a small growing entrepreneurial company, raised the level of sophistication of accounting policies, procedures, and the accounting team’s overall skill level and knowledge-base, implementing new accounting systems, integrating back office operations, and developing internal controls.
- Actively participated in the processes to secure government technology support funding (e.g. IRAP and SHRED).
- Undergraduate degree; accounting designation.
REMUNERATION & BENEFITS
- A competitive base and variable bonus.