THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
Our ClientOur client is a well-established transportation company with a head office in the Greater Toronto Area. Family-owned and in the second generation this organization continues to grow organically. With revenues in excess of $100M and operations across the country the company is looking to continue its success.
To facilitate the retirement of a long term senior manager of the organization the company seeks a new VP Finance.
Based in the head office in the Greater Toronto Area, and reporting to and working very closely with the President the VP Finance will be responsible for:
• Contributing to the overall management of the firm, as part of the senior management team.
• Reporting on the Company’s financials (i.e. P/L, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow, etc.) to the President and the executive management team.
• Managing the financial affairs of the group of companies including the operating entities, the holding companies and a charitable foundation.
• Developing Key Performance Indicators and working with the senior management team to ensure that there is accurate and timely reporting on departmental activities.
• Monitoring costs and creating models for standard costing and supporting the business development team with pricing information.
• Working closely with the senior operating executives to help them understand the costs of the ongoing operations, with particular attention to costs that are starting to rise beyond budget.
• Overseeing and managing the accounting, tax, insurance, audit, budget, credit and treasury functions.
• Managing the investment of the companies’ cash reserves
• Managing the company’s cash flows.
• Providing leadership, guidance and mentorship to the members of the finance and accounting staff in the organization.
• Leading the budgeting and auditing processes for the company.
• Ensuring that the financial and operations practices and processes of the organization are extremely efficient and above reproach.
• Providing the primary financial interface in support of the President to banking institutions and shareholders, relating to the Company’s finances and its financial investment activities.
• Contributing to the development and implementation of the Company’s operational plans with the executive management team.
• Managing the company’s information technology resources and the software implementations.
• Reviewing operating leases, real estate transactions and other legal documents.
Experience and Qualifications:
• A financial designation (CA, CMA or CGA) is critical to be able to effectively fulfill the role.
• Experience in the transportation industry is preferred with a strong preference for the LTL industry.
• Experience managing a finance department and directing all the activities involved in the financial stewardship of a company.
• Exposure to IT or experience managing an IT department would be a distinct advantage.
• Experience dealing with legal matters would be highly valued.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Can alter own perspective and behaviour in order to adjust to changing demands and plans. Open to change and readily adopts new methods in the face of shifting priorities and ambiguity. Quickly adapts to new situations and approaches.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others. Mobilizes people into action. Negotiates skillfully and convinces others to own point of view.
Recognizes when change is necessary. Challenges the status quo and champions new initiatives. Acts as a catalyst to change and stimulates others to change. Develops an effective action plan to implement change and monitors results.
Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members. Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support.