THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a large, Canadian multidisciplinary professional services firm that delivers a comprehensive range of technical and strategic services, including consulting, engineering, process development, information systems as well as project and construction management to the Mining, Metals, Energy and Infrastructure sectors.
As entire industries cope with tectonic market shifts, the appetite for disruptive thinking, technology and solutions to enhance their operations grows at an unprecedented pace. Our client’s Technology Development group specializes in addressing these needs.
Leveraging its vast experience with the technologies, processes, concepts and techniques used by its customers, as well as its longstanding investment in the R&D of new technologies, concepts and strategic partnerships, the Technology Development group provides innovative and commercially effective ground breaking technologies and solutions around the globe. Activities in this group include investment planning, pilot plant development and operation, industry and client specific solutions (over 40 unique technology solutions are provided repeatedly to their clients) and commercialization management.
Scope of Position
Our Client is seeking a Commercialization Director for its Technology Development Group. Commercialization management bridges the gap between customers and developers, helping to commercialize new technologies. Our client conducts techno-economic studies, identifying the value proposition and driving technology through to implementation. They assist with road-mapping, managing relationships with researchers, technology collaborators, vendors, and investors. They also maintain the technology pipeline and provide technical expertise.
The successful candidate will be responsible for successfully identifying and commercializing the pre-commercial but high potential NPV segment of the company’s technology pipeline. The role calls for someone who knows how both technologies and innovation can be deployed to best effect; an integrative thinker who is comfortable with many business models; a builder rather than implementer. Working with the company’s full complement of capabilities, the Commercialization Director will give identity and drive growth utilizing the firm’s unique abilities for disruptive thinking, technology and business case driven solutions to enhance customers.
Success will involve coordination with the company’s customers, its internal business unit directors, technology practice directors and 3rd party organizations to develop and then realize the business case such that the commercial value obtained from the available commercialization and development efforts is maximized.
The successful individual will be an entrepreneurial business person with a portfolio of successes in converting ideas, new technologies into substantive projects and businesses.
The position will be based in Toronto.
- Identify commercial opportunities in conjunction with other company leaders
- Develop strategy and implement business cases to maximize commercial value of identified opportunities
- In conjunction with other company leaders, identify opportunities to expand service offerings associated with new technologies
- Identify and execute strategic partnerships with client and 3rd party organizations to pilot technology implementation
- Coach individual technology champions to perform the ongoing business growth in the post commercialization phase.
- Work with the senior management team to develop, refine and implement the strategic direction for the Technology Development Group. This will include focusing the strategic and technology road maps and market plans with the goal of expanding and improving market penetration, and enhancing competitive positioning.
- Continue to build world-class capabilities.
- Focus the team to accelerate and drive the growth of the business, new market penetration and development, sector leadership and profitability.
- Report regularly and proactively to the Technology Group Leader on results and plans going forward.
- Champion the group’s interests to major customers and internal stakeholders.
- Remain abreast of the industry, competitors and technology trends with a view to ensuring that the firm’s services best align to market needs. Ensure that all alliance, acquisition and investment opportunities are considered and the most attractive, pursued.
- Where possible, leverage relationships and projects to the benefit of other divisions and the organization as a whole.
- Use Technology opportunities and pursuits as a mechanism to drive growth of the firm’s other business practices, where synergies can be achieved.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
Specific measures of performance will be discussed with and agreed upon with the successful candidate but will include responsibility for the achievement of targets related to business opportunity pipeline development, order intake, backlog development, profitability of the overall business practice and generation of opportunities for other parts of the organization through cross-selling.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Commercialization Director Technologies:
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing market forces and internal capabilities. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate tactical issues to focus on strategic development of the business.
Planning and Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work; Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified; Plans by breaking down large tasks into subtasks; Develops plans that anticipate obstacles; Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts leadership style to each situation to achieve optimum results.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs and then delivers a sales solution to meet them. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles; Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment; Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues.
Incorporates information about the organization’s structure and protocol into decisions. Attentive to the internal politics and alert to shifting interpersonal dynamics. Establishes the necessary support networks and cross-functional relationships through rapport building. Recognizes, maintains and effectively balances the interests and needs of one’s own group with those of the broader organization.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Experience in growing a P&L
- Proven experience in creatively applying integrative solutions to solving problems
- Experience working in technology or related markets
- Previous experience in a start-up business is an asset
- Strong business orientation
- A highly intelligent, strategically minded executive with superb communication and interpersonal skills and a willingness to roll-up his/her sleeves.
- Strong team orientation well-suited to building consensus in a global concern.
- Proven ability to set commercial arrangements with initial users and third party collaborators
- MBA or equivalent business degree
Remuneration & Benefits
Highly competitive, unique compensation package to the successful candidate