Our client is a family owned holding company with a diverse portfolio of growth oriented companies. This organization has a reputation for long term ownership of portfolio companies and a commitment to growth and strong management. Many of the portfolio companies have more than doubled in size during their time within the organization. In addition the firm actively works with management to grow the businesses and the small team has a strong operational orientation. This allows investment in challenged businesses that other investors would often shy away from. Working out of an office in North York, the small team works with a diverse group of portfolio companies. This group of people is responsible for the management of the company’s ownership interests in a group of operating companies, the management of the corporation’s investments in marketable securities and other administrative responsibilities related to the management of the holding company.
Reporting to the President and working with all members of the team the primary responsibilities of the Vice President Finance include the following:
• Oversee the production of timely and accurate financial statements of the company and the audit process for the group of companies.
• Participate in the financial analysis of the company and its investments.
• Participate in the tax management and tax planning of the company and its investments and the tax planning of its affiliates.
• Participate in the financial planning and corporate structuring of the company and its portfolio companies.
• Support and participate in the management of the banking, non-bank financing and insurance relationships for the company and its portfolio companies.
• Support the company’s portfolio companies in the areas of contracts, personnel issues, legal compliance, union negotiations, legal matters and other issues as required.
• Support for portfolio companies’ in negotiations with customers and suppliers.
• Actively work with the senior management teams of the portfolio companies on key strategic issues and projects that require additional management expertise.
• Serve as a Director of some of the portfolio companies or as a member of a committee of the Board of Directors of a portfolio company.
• Participate in acquisition and divestiture of investments by the company and it’s portfolio companies.
• Investment analysis and strategy formulation with the company’s team.
• Real estate negotiations for the company and portfolio companies as required.
• Other administrative responsibilities including the company’s payroll.
The Manager of Accounting at the company reports directly to the Vice President of Finance. In some cases the chief financial officers of the portfolio companies have a dotted line responsibility to the Vice President of Finance and in some cases the Vice President of Finance may act as a member of a finance committee of the board of directors of a portfolio company.
The Vice President Finance will interface often with the following:
• Other company staff.
• Financial and administrative staff of the portfolio companies.
• The company’s and its portfolio companies’ customers and suppliers.
• The company’s investment partners.
• The company’s and the portfolio companies’ banks and insurance brokers.
• Business brokers and representatives of potential acquisitions, acquirers and partners.
Education and Experience
• Accounting Designation (CA, CMA, or CGA)
• A degree in business, law or accountancy.
• Extensive direct business experience with operating businesses at the vice president level within the finance function.