THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a Southern Ontario-based leader in the metals recycling and distribution business. As in many industrial sectors, the metals recycling business is changing. Our client is at the forefront of this change, driving the rapid evolution towards a truly customer-centric approach to the business. They have redesigned the business models that define their space and have implemented innovative ways of partnering with their customers to greatly improve efficiencies throughout the value-chain. Our client is committed to ensuring the highest level of integrity in their relationships while providing environmental-sustainability of their operations through their enhanced business processes.
Scope of Position
The Business Development Executive will have the opportunity to grow the business in Canada while playing a critical ongoing role in changing the nature and function of the relationship with the customers.This Business Development Executive will pursue and win new service contracts with companies that produce scrap metals as an output of their production operations. These materials are captured, collected, and brought in for processing, recycling and redistribution to the market through refiners and smelters. Customer groups include manufacturers in segments such as automotive, aerospace, building products, consumer products, where their best-practices in supply chain management and logistics demand the most from their service providers.
This position is on the front-line of this highly-competitive field, and the opportunity will appeal to individuals that are not satisfied with just ‘hitting-their-numbers’, but are driven to set new standards of sales performance.
- The Business Development Executive will utilize their well-developed skills and experience in sales, marketing, account management and development in the following areas …
- Prospecting/Contact Management … – To determine the markets for their services. – To identify and qualify the specific companies that could benefit from their services and offerings. – To develop sales support materials and pitches/presentations that effectively articulate the value-proposition for the different market segments.
- Relationship Management … – To contact and call on prospective customers to determine their needs and to present solutions based on the company’s service models. – To develop an understanding of the potential customer’s organizational structure and identify all individuals involved in the decision-making for establishing relations with external service providers, as well as the influencers. – To establish, grow and maintain business relations with the identified individuals through creative and regular contact and communications. – To continually monitor relationships for sales opportunities and to leverage those relations to expand or adjust the contact-base within the customer’s organization as well as to leverage relationships externally into other companies.
- Sales Management … – To professionally ‘sell’ solutions to the appropriate individuals within the prospective customer’s organization through the delivery of high-impact presentation of customized and timely offerings, ensuring that all objectives and barriers to the sale are identified and overcome, and that the value-proposition is effectively communicated. – To negotiate commercial terms that ensure acceptable conditions, commitments and margins for profitability of the business for the company and high value for the customer.
- Metrics Management and Evaluation … – To forecast and determine aggressive and achievable sales objectives as measured by revenues and tonnage of metals for recycling. – To measure and improve on factors contributing to the profitability of operations. – Continually evaluate and refine business development processes and reporting methods.
- Personnel Development … – Although the role is primarily that of an individual contributor, as a senior member of the team you are responsible for mentoring and assisting others to develop their skills, knowledge and capabilities, such as others in commodity trading roles … this will be done on an individual basis as well as to the team through meetings and internal communications.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Within the first 12 months to demonstrate the ability to penetrate new customers and markets, by securing new business and successfully completing/closing a number of new service contracts
- Within the first 3 months, to establish solid working relationships and credibility with the team.
- Within the first 3 months, to have fully learned the company’s business and services models, and to effectively be able to present and defend the company’s offerings, differentiators and value-proposition.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Business Development Executive
Adopts an energetic approach. Works towards goals and willingly tackles demanding tasks. Demonstrates capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods of time, even in the face of adversity.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Expresses ideas in a clear, fluent and concise manner. Written and oral arguments are compelling and responsive to the needs of the audience. Comprehends communications from others and responds appropriately.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Negotiates skillfully and convinces others to own point of view. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others. Mobilizes people into action.
Draws parallels across situations and contexts. Divides problems into their individual elements. Develops several explanations or alternatives. Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect.
|Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- A University or College Degree/Diploma.
- A minimum of 10 years progressive sales and account management experience, selling services or products to a variety of industrial/commercial market sectors.
- Ambitious and highly competitive by nature and a drive to over-achieve coupled with an impatience for results
- Strong strategic planning and analysis skills in sales, marketing, and business (competitive) strategy.
- Outstanding complex-selling abilities and excellent interpersonal skills with executive level customers and partners.
- Proven track record in achieving sales growth year over year in and establishing new and growing markets.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with customers, project teams, and other members of a management team and a demonstrated track record of building solid relationships with decision makers.
- Highly engaged individual with demonstrated ability to lead with an entrepreneurial spirit.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive, industry-leading package comprised of base salary, commissions and performance bonus.