THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Comapny
Our client is a large, multidisciplinary engineering/professional services firm that delivers a comprehensive range of technical and strategic services, including consulting, information technology, engineering, process development, as well as project and construction management to various heavy industrial sectors.
Major corporations around the world recognize our client for its ability to bridge the gaps between research and innovative technologies, and between engineering and reliable operations. The firm places strong emphasis on developing innovative approaches, technologies and solutions that add value to its customers businesses.
Our client delivers unprecedented business results through a commitment to quality, lower operating costs, more efficient utilization of capital assets, higher standards for safety and risk management, faster start-ups and continuous performance improvements in all projects and programs.
Scope of Position
As entire industries cope with tectonic market shifts, the appetite for disruptive thinking, technology and solutions to design, build and enhance their operations grows at an unprecedented pace. Our client’s mineral processing business leads its sector in this revolution.
From brownfield upgrades to making processes more efficient, to fine-tuning machinery, to planning and implementing major new integrated developments, our client’s objective is always the same: to address their clients’ most serious challenges and solve their toughest problems.
Our client provides guidance and support in areas such as:
- Geometallurgy and ore testing
- Heap leach and in-situ leach
- Process modeling and studies
- Process intensification
- Materials handling
- Mine-to-mill optimization
- Slurry pipeline design
- Crushing and grinding
- Operational support, asset management, and sustaining capital projects
- Ore sorting and pre-concentration
- Project management and procurement Services
- Construction management
- Commissioning and ramp-up
- Gold processing
- Digital strategies
Currently our client is seeking an individual to assume global leadership for its Mineral Processing Practice which includes:
- Process Design
- Operational Support
Reporting to the Global Managing Director, the successful candidate will leverage his/her personal and professional knowledge, experience and capabilities, as well as our client’s extensive in-house resources, to drive the practice’s technologies and services to a larger global market share.
The firm’s Mineral Processing Practice serves key clients across all commodities groups (Base Metals, Bulk and Minerals) and boasts a significant opportunity to expand its client relationships. This successful candidate will be at the helm of the strategy, team, and execution plan to deliver on the promise of this opportunity with the support the firm’s most senior leadership.
The successful candidate will possess a deep understanding of mineral processing across major commodities (Copper, Zinc, Nickel, Iron Ore, Gold and Silver, etc). He/she will demonstrate proven effectiveness in influencing through insight, building trusted advisor relationships, partnering with clients to understand the client’s needs (from issue to outcome), shaping the ‘right’ solutions in order to help mining companies develop and exploit new orebodies profitably. The role requires a differentiated understanding of clients’ industry landscape and the capacity to create solutions that bring the best of Hatch to help clients overcome their processing challenges.
This successful candidate will also be responsible for practice building activities, thought leadership, people development, and continuing to build an extraordinary team.
- Work with members of the senior management team to refine, develop and implement the strategic direction for the Mineral Processing Practice. This will include focusing the strategic road map and existing market plans, expanding and improving market penetration, and enhancing competitive positioning.
- Work closely with the vertical business teams and customers to identify and anticipate opportunities for the practice
- Ensure that organizational capacity is in place by which to deliver on the practice’s plans.
- Provide ongoing direction, performance management and developmental support to the team. Continue to build world-class capabilities. Focus and inspire the team to accelerate and drive the growth of the business, new market development, sector leadership and profitability.
- Ensure that the Mineral Processing Practice is fully aligned with the objectives and direction of the major vertical market business units.
- Aligning the culture, values, metrics and governance of the Mineral Processing Practice to those of the overall organization.
- Meet operating requirements demonstrating strong program and project governance and delivery skills. Ensure consistent high-quality deliverables from the practice.
- Report regularly and proactively to the Global MD on results and plans going forward.
- Champion the group’s interests to major customers and internal stakeholders.
- Lead the expansion of the practice and brand into new customers. Engage with strategic stakeholders in those customers. Drive growth. Find and create business opportunities across multiple geographies within established and emerging client organizations.
- Remaining abreast of the industry, competitors and trends with a view to ensuring that the firm’s services best align to market needs. Ensure that all alliance, acquisition and investment opportunities are considered and the most attractive pursued.
- Serve as an ambassador for the group representing it at conferences, speaking engagements, and other external industry related events.
- Where possible leverage relationships and projects to the benefit of other practices and the organization as a whole.
- Drive growth
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific measures of performance will be discussed with and agreed upon with the successful candidate
The following competencies listed below define the role of Practice Leader/Director Smart Urbanization.
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Imagines future possibilities. Thinks broadly and investigates a wide-range of alternatives in developing a vision for the future. Selects the most promising vision from a range of alternatives and communicates this vision to others.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Negotiates skillfully and convinces others to own point of view. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others. Mobilizes people into action.
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Incorporates information about the organization’s structure and protocol into decisions. Attentive to the internal politics and alert to shifting interpersonal dynamics. Establishes the necessary support networks and cross-functional relationships through rapport building. Recognizes, maintains and effectively balances the interests and needs of one’s own group with those of the broader organization.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables.
- Minimum of 20 years of relevant mining sector experience
- C-Suite level experience, ideally with an extensive network of relationships at senior level
- Deep understanding of the mineral processing and operational trends across major commodities (Copper, Zinc, Nickel, Iron Ore, Molybdenum, Gold and Silver, etc.) and ability to develop and drive innovation to process projects. The successful candidate will also have skills in areas such as iron ore beneficiation, ore testing and site characterization, process modeling and studies, materials handling, crushing, grinding, flotation, dewatering and separation among others.
- Strong operations experience
- Project development experience
- A highly intelligent, strategically minded executive with superb communication and interpersonal skills and a willingness to roll-up his/her sleeves.
- Strong team orientation well-suited to building consensus in a global concern.
- International experience
- Toronto-based or willingness to relocate to Toronto
- Experience in building and managing distributed teams of professionals
- Relevant degree in process engineering or related discipline
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive, unique compensation package to the successful candidate