THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Scope of Position
- System Product Development
- Coordinating with other R & E department heads to achieve company’s goals and objectives as set out by the Leadership Team.
- Develop, implement, and maintain a System Roadmap in response to company’s core strategy and long term company needs.
- Develop, implement and maintain the management of New System / Product Introduction process including the related documentation.
- When required, assist in the product planning and technical research required for new products.
- Assist in product introduction marketing programs and test market coordination with appropriate Marketing personnel.
- Confers with engineers, managers, customers, and others to discuss the project, repare documents, or modify contract schedules.
- Schedules due dates for drawings, specifications, software, technical manuals, and other documents.
- Monitors the status of the project to ensure documentation is submitted according to schedule.
- Reviews and verifies project documents for completeness, format, and compliance with contract requirements.
- Submits project documentation to management for approval, and transmits approved documents to the customer.
- Applying costing and process design strategies in order to position the company in the early stages of project development to increase the probability of success
- Assisting project managers and project engineers in the preparation of project change orders.
- Oversee on and off-site testing of new and existing product.
- Technical Support
- Providing Applications Engineering support and maintaining a working knowledge of all active projects
- Providing support to the Supply Chain Manager thru testing and qualifying where appropriate key system components.
- Providing technical support to designated Regional Sales managers Developing and maintaining relationships with Regional Sales Managers and Local Representatives
- Assisting Regional Sales Managers with sales calls, design kick-off meetings and consulting
- Train Sales Representatives, customers and other employees on technical matters relating to all products.
- Handle correspondence with customers and Sales Representatives on matters relating to applications, technical support, and other activities that are deemed necessary.
- Present products and systems to customers at various seminars held throughout the year.
- Present the company’s products to customers by providing technical expertise through the different phases of the sales process.
- Collect and process competitive information.
- Assist in development of product strategies in conjunction with Sales Representatives and the Sales Council.
- Initiate the transmittal of product technical literature or other information as a result of customer requests.
- Arrange and conduct meetings with customers at the factory as necessary.
- Perform administrative functions such as creating, reviewing and writing reports, approving expenditures, enforcing rules, and making decisions about the purchase of materials or services.
- Monitors progress against project schedules and budgets; recommends allocation of resources as required to accomplish goals.
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems — Analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and overcome obstacles.
- Develop and implement policies, standards and procedures for the engineering and technical work performed in the department, service, laboratory or firm.
- Prepares the annual budget request for the program; estimates staffing, equipment supply needs based upon recent trends and planned activities.
- Monitors and reports expenditures after budget adoption.
- Ensure compliance with ISO Quality system.
- Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates; Providing information to supervisors, co workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
- Staff Management and Development
- Recruit employees; assign, direct, and evaluate their work; and oversee the development and maintenance of staff competence.
- Interviews and hires new staff; prioritizes, assigns and reviews work, approves time off for payroll purposes, and prepares and reviews employee performance evaluations. The Company reserves the right to add to, delete, or otherwise alter these responsibilities when and as necessary. Any and all changes will be reviewed with the incumbent.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific performance goals will be discussed and agreed upon with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Technical Manager/Director:
Demonstrates critical technical or professional knowledge/skills related to the role. Has thorough knowledge of relevant products, services and methods. Expands technical knowledge/skills and keeps up-to-date in own area of expertise.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Adapts management style to achieve optimum results.
Planning & Objective Setting
Systematic in approach to work. Produces action plans in which objectives are defined and steps for achieving them are clearly specified. Plans by breaking down large task into subtasks. Develops plans that anticipate obstacles. Is realistic about time-scales and builds in appropriate checkpoints, milestones and controls in order to ensure that desired results are realized.
Generates new ideas. Challenges existing assumptions. Goes beyond the status quo. Recognizes the need for new or modified approaches. Brings various perspectives and approaches together, combining them in a creative fashion to implement effective improvements.
Draws parallels across situations and contexts. Divides problems into their individual elements. Develops several explanations or alternatives. Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance.Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are
important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance
- Post secondary degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering
- 10 plus years in design engineering, new product introduction (NPI) and engineering management.
- Experience in engines, emissions technologies, powertrain or related technologies preferably as applied to diesel.
- Must be willing to travel up to 30% of the time.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Comprehensive and competitive compensation plan and benefits package