THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Client
Client is a leading mid-tier Canadian defence electronics company specializing in military voice and data communications networks; electro-optics (EO) and infrared search and tracking systems (IRST); integrated communications systems engineering,); deployable flight data recorders; avionics systems engineering; soldier systems; training and simulation systems; defence/space electronics manufacturing. They have been recognized as one of the fastest growing defence technology companies in the world. They are committed to recruiting and retaining the best.
Reporting directly to the Senior Director of Engineering and will lead the ship’s integrated external and internal communications program execution from requirements analysis and definition, through system concept, design and proposal to system development, implementation, integration, qualification and test.
As a strategic member of the engineering team you will be responsible for a technical team of as many as 20 hardware, software and systems engineers dependent on the size of the project. You will be required to have a technical vision and be a contributing member of the management team that will guide the successful completion of customer projects and internal product development.
- Directs/assists in the derivation of requirements and development of requirements documents.
- Reviews customer requirements and specifications and develops top-level performance specifications.
- Directs/assists in the preparation of requirements tracking using established tools.
- Prepares system level specifications and drawings.
- Prepares Configuration Item/Equipment Procurement Specifications.
- Establishes vendor source selection evaluation criteria.
- Conducts vendor selection against evaluation criteria.
- Conducts system level trade studies, including Make/Buy analyses to develop an optimal solution.
- Prepares interface requirements specifications, interface and installation control drawings.
- Prepares proposal related material including system functional, performance, physical, design and construction descriptions, engineering plans, cost and schedule estimates.
- Directs/assists in the preparation of project system engineering data deliverables
- Leads reviews with internal/external customers and implements corrective actions as required
- Oversees the development of test plans to verify and validate requirements.
- Supervises system and subsystem validation and verification tests.
- Works with senior technical staff in locating and finding solutions to test anomalies.
- Reviews and approves baseline release documentation.
- Gathers information to support systems analyses.
- Assists with integrated logistics support activities including analysis, technical publications and customer interface control documents.
- May be required to travel to customer sites (domestic and international).
- Other duties as assigned. This may include assuming project leadership responsibilities on one or more technical programs.
- Provides general guidance/coaching to other Engineers, in multi-disciplined teams (hardware, software, mechanical etc.)
Preferred Experience and Education
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in engineering with 10 years minimum of professional experience in designing and developing ship’s communications systems and network engineering related projects.
- Ability to diagnose and correct software/hardware/mechanical integration problems.
- Familiarity with systems tools and off-the-shelf packages that can be utilized for system development including Req Pro and/or DOORS.
- Sound working knowledge of life cycle models, software, hardware and system design processes, life cycle models, communication protocols; and real time system design methods.
- Good knowledge of integrated communications systems and their hardware and software components, with an understanding of EMI/EMC/Environmental, Electrical Power and environmental qualification testing requirements.
- Project Engineering experience with demonstrated ability to manage multidisciplinary teams to achieve project goals.
- Strong Proposal, Technical and Specification writing skills.
- Advanced operational familiarity with shipboard communications systems.
- Experience in integrated External/Internal communications systems design in the marine environment including networks and security.
- Experience in design and processes in accordance with MIL-STD 2036, 1472, 490 -1521.
- Experience in designing for requirements including MTTR, MTBF, Availability and HFE guidelines.
- Background in specifying installations and support including wire/cabling, facility drawings and guidance packages.
- Demonstrates strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Works effectively as a Team Leader.
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to rapidly evolving technologies.
- Ability to ensure or adjust scope/budget/timelines to meet program requirements.
- Multiplexes between different projects and delivers on commitments.
- Ability to conceptually link macro level project plans to micro level tasks.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility to meet business demands.
Remuneration and Benefits
- Competitive salary and benefits
Special needs of candidates with disabilities will be accommodated. Client is dedicated to Employment Equity. The successful candidate(s) must fulfill requirements for U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP) and Canadian security clearance to secret. Client is an equal opportunity employer.