THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a Canadian, employee-owned multidisciplinary professional services firm that delivers a comprehensive range of technical and strategic services, including consulting, information technology, engineering, process development, project and construction management to the Mining, Metallurgical, Energy, and Infrastructure sectors. The firm has served clients for over 80 years and has project experience in more than 150 countries around the world, delivering solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative.
Our client is widely recognized for its ability to bridge the gaps between research and innovative technologies, and between engineering and reliable operations. The firm is particularly known for working with senior client management to develop business strategies; managing and optimizing production; executing projects that involve the scale-up of process technologies; and managing start-ups, commissioning and ramp-ups.
Our client delivers unprecedented business results for its clients through a commitment to quality, lower operating costs, more efficient utilization of capital assets, higher standards for safety and risk management, faster start-ups and continuous performance improvements in all projects and programs.
Through its Environmental Services Group (ESG) our client integrates environmental and social issues into all phases of project development. Our client’s environmental specialists, engineers and social-management professionals work directly with external clients and our project teams and to deliver optimum value to our clients. ESG is a specialized practice group that works through multiple disciplines to integrate environmental considerations into client projects. Our baseload of work in ESG is Environmental & Social Impact Assessments (ESIA’s) and permitting for projects in the infrastructure, mining & metals, and energy sectors. In addition, ESG provides consulting services in Indigenous Engagement, Climate Change and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) & Sustainability to external clients (along with leading our internal initiatives in these areas).
In summary, the Environmental Services Group serves clients by managing EISA’s, permitting, regulatory compliance, community, sustainability/corporate social responsibility, indigenous engagement, climate change & carbon management consulting and related project delivery services.
Scope of Position
This is an exciting new role to provide leadership and take responsibility for the growth and operational management of our client’s Environmental Services Group (ESG) business in North and South America. This role is focussed on growing ESG in these regions, through the development of external facing new business opportunities, as well as in collaboration with other service areas within our client through cross-selling. The successful candidate will be expected to proactively grow market share (i.e., sell) in the environmental services area. The organisational and resource development to meet this growth is also an important component of the role. The role is based in Toronto to be co-located with most of our client’s other senior leaders and executives; however, the ESG practice is actively focusing on targets in the key growth markets globally.
In alignment with the group’s values and vision, the Environmental Services Group must be managed in a professional and commercial manner in order to deliver the high standard of service expected by the clients, our client and other stakeholders. This includes a deep and sincere commitment to making a difference in the community and to the environment, through the provision of value enhancing services.
You will be part of the global ESG management team and the company’s overall senior leadership team, who will be available to support you in achieving the above objectives.
- Developing and expanding a continuous stream of new stand-alone ESG work, as well as cross-selling ESG work into ongoing company proposals and projects. ie., leading assertive and proactive initiatives to develop new client opportunities and acquire additional business from existing company client and project relationships.
- Client engagement at VP and CEO level with existing company clients and the development of new client relationships for ESG and the broader business.
- Managing a multi-disciplinary team of professionals providing environment, ESIA / EIA / permitting, community, sustainability/corporate responsibility, climate change / carbon management consulting and project delivery services within the business globally and regionally.
- Assisting senior management in strategy planning and organizational design initiatives.
- Ensuring the development of budgets and plans which will deliver the organization’s strategic goals.
- Developing and implementing plans to adapt and grow the existing operational systems, processes, and personnel in order to accommodate the rapid growth objectives of the business.
- Ensuring the commercial viability of the business at all times and acting in compliance with agreed profitability objectives.
- Assist in the preparation of supporting materials, including communication materials, training documents and technical reports.
- Participates in projects with cross-functional teams to address business opportunities
- Engendering a style of management that encourages an ethos of excellence and a mindset of continuous improvement;
- Providing project management and specialist advisory support to project teams working on mining, infrastructure and energy projects;
- Managing the performance reporting requirements of the Environmental Services Group for the region.
- Liaising with Global peers across the business as required.
Key Performance Deliverables
In light of the identified responsibilities, the following are specific deliverables that the position is designed to achieve.
- Specific additional measures of performance will be discussed with the successful candidate.
The following competencies listed below define the role of Regional Director, Environmental Services Group, The Americas:
Develops a strategic plan to realize the vision. Revises strategy in light of changing circumstances. Takes a long-term view of organizational success. Works to clarify long term organizational goals. Able to stand back from immediate problems in order to focus on more far reaching ideas.
Proactive. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them immediately. Takes responsibility for own actions and addresses problems before asked.
Articulates the key points of an argument persuasively. Negotiates skillfully and convinces others to own point of view. Directly and indirectly impacts the decisions/opinions of others. Mobilizes people into action.
Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Aims to improve upon past performance. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them.
Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service. Anticipates customers’/clients’ needs. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction.
Industry & Market Awareness
Seeks to anticipate and respond to industry and market changes/challenges by understanding key characteristics, issues and the factors driving them. Aware of competitor’s products, services and position.
Helps to create a sense of team spirit and harmonious relations through cooperation and support. Balances personal goals with those of the team. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Applies appropriate commercial and financial principles. Appreciates the commercial impact of own work on the organization’s total expenses and revenues. Understands situations in terms of costs, profits, added-value and return on investment.
Preferred Experience / Education
The following indicates specific industry, academic and functional experience/qualifications that are important to the successful achievement of the identified responsibilities and performance deliverables:
- Bachelor’s/University degree in engineering, science, environmental science, environmental management or a related discipline.
- A postgraduate qualification in a related discipline and/or MBA desirable.
- A minimum of 15 years’ experience in selling, managing and delivering EIA, ESIA and environmental permitting activities on major infrastructure, mining or energy projects.
- A minimum of 10 years of demonstrated leadership and supervisory experience.
- Strong financial management and people management skills.
- An understanding of how to formulate and execute business strategies as well as effectively leading a team of people.
- Demonstrated experience working on major projects in the infrastructure, mining, or energy industries.
- In-depth knowledge of environmental legislation and requirements in Canada, USA, and/or South America.
- Willingness to travel as work requires.
- An ability to work in a multi-disciplinary and integrated team environment.
- Effective and open communication and presentation style and the ability to plan and deliver high quality reports.
- An ability to be flexible, learn and perform challenging tasks outside their area of skills and experience.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive, unique compensation package to the successful candidate
- Our client is committed to fostering a workforce in each of their locations that reflects the diversity of the communities in which they operate. They are an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status. If you have any special needs requirements, they will do their utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.
If interested, please contact:
Leigh Walsh Robert Hebert
StoneWood Group, Toronto StoneWood Group, Toronto
Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 555 Bus: 416-365-9494 Ext. 777
Mob: 416-937-7559 Mob: 416-889-9494