Recycling - General Manager - South Western Ontario
THIS SEARCH WAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED.
About the Company
Our client is a Southern Ontario-based leader in the metals recycling and distribution business. As in many industrial sectors, the metals recycling business is changing. Our client is at the forefront of this change, driving the rapid evolution towards a truly customer-centric approach to the business. They have redesigned the business models that define their space and have implemented innovative ways of partnering with their customers to greatly improve efficiencies throughout the value-chain. Our client is committed to ensuring the highest level of integrity in their relationships while providing environmental-sustainability of their operations through their enhanced business processes.
Scope of Position
Overall, accountable for the site’s profit and loss, and responsibility for the growth and success of the business which serves the Western GTA and South Western Ontario markets. This senior operations executive will direct the site’s day-to-day operations, maintenance, and administration.
This General Manager will formulate and then effectively execute the operation’s plans while creating energetic and positive relationships with the company's customers, strategic partners, employees, and other key stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, align and execute operational and strategic plans for the site, in cooperation with the company’s overall corporate plans.
- Assess and evaluate all current collection, sorting, processing and material handling processes, and to make recommendations and execute ongoing changes that improve throughput efficiencies, cost and yields.
- Develop meaningful key performance indicators (KPIs) and other metrics by which to better monitor, measure, manage and improve operations.
- Engage directly and indirectly with customers and local business partners to enhance business relations and secure customers’ business and loyalties.
- Develop strategic projects to identify and deliver key business improvements throughout operations from identifying initial potential opportunities, delivering the business cases, gaining approval and delivering to agreed scope, budget and timescale.
- Cultivate a continuous improvement culture throughout all functional areas of the site.
- Play a very hands-on role in managing all day-to-day operations working closely with managers and team members.
- Continue evaluating costing, supply chain and logistics strategies and approaches against best practices.
- Prepare operational financial plans, and negotiate budgets with head office.
- Drive operations to meet or exceed the site’s financial targets on monthly bases, and perform variances analysis during monthly financial reviews, creating action plans to correct inefficiencies.
- Manage and oversee the maintenance and servicing of the company’s processing equipment to minimize down times while maximizing the efficiency and working life of all processing equipment and machinery.
- Ensure that the site’s operations and processes remain compliant with all applicable regulatory standards and all outputs are handled in accordance with and to the highest safety and quality standards.
- Evaluate staff related processes and procedures including work rules, position descriptions, responsibilities, performance reviews, safety training and practices, etc., with a view to both optimizing productivity and enhancing employee relations.
- Determine adequacy of personnel, equipment and technologies used for operations.
- Motivate staff through being a positive, encouraging champion for continual improvement, and groom/develop staff to ensure their capabilities scale as the business grows.
Key Performance Deliverables
- Continuous improvement and service delivery excellence – Leadership or teamwork contribution in expenses, process cost, yield, downtime reduction, and safety.
- Customer satisfaction – High quality, efficient processing that meets or exceeds customer’s requirements.
- Expense control – Meet or exceed approved budgets or forecasts.
- Reporting – On-time accurate monthly reports and forecasts.
Adapts management style to achieve optimum results. Clarifies roles and responsibilities. Establishes and communicates clear priorities and sense of direction.
Aims to improve upon past performance. Conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Establishes aggressive personal targets and strives to achieve them. Focuses strongly on achieving agreed upon outcomes and ensures that key objectives are met.
Adopts an energetic approach. Demonstrates capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods of time, even in the face of adversity. Works towards goals and willingly tackles demanding tasks.
Integrity & Sincerity
Inspires trust and supports others through own authenticity and following up on commitments. Maintains high ethical standards both personally and professionally. Shows consistency among principles.
Anticipates customers'/clients' needs. Monitors and acts on measures of customer/client satisfaction. Quickly follows up on customer/client contacts and complaints. Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service.
Developing & Coaching Others
Accurately assesses strengths and development needs of employees. Adjusts coaching style based on each employee's ability and motivation level. Challenges others to improve their abilities and actively supports their development. Continually provides timely and constructive feedback, coaching and challenging learning opportunities.
Encourages others by creating enthusiasm, a feeling of investment and a desire to excel. Inspires a healthy attitude to work by recognizing positive contributions.
Develops several explanations or alternatives. Divides problems into their individual elements. Draws parallels across situations and contexts. Separates the core of a problem from its symptoms and can identify cause and effect.
Preferred Experience / Education
- 10 plus years of experience in ‘hands-on’ operations management, ideally including some direct experience managing a material recovery facility, transfer station, scrap metal operation, waste management operation, recycling operation or other post-consumer material processing operation.
- Experience in implementing best practices and continuous improvements in operations, quality systems, and safety practices.
- Well-developed general business knowledge, including strong financial and budget management skills, having had full P&L accountability.
- Complementary business experience that can be leveraged in the current role and for future growth opportunities
- A track record of success distinguished by having cultivated positive working relationships with staff, peers and superiors.
Remuneration & Benefits
- Highly competitive, industry-leading package comprised of base salary, performance bonus and company benefits package.